English English
info@sanlorenzoturismo.org +034 918 905 313

French Consul’s House

The French Consul's House represents the first architectural work of Juan de Villanueva, who sketched the first designs in 1768 for the abbé Agustin Bellardi, French Consul. The house was used as the Consul's residence during the Royal Visits. He was a very influential politician, and came to be appointed General Agent for Trade and Navy by the French Prime Minister.

With this first work, the architect proposed a type of building in which formal Herraran elements stand out, and rejecting the fashions that marked the prevailing French architecture.

The house has a rectangular floor plan, with sides parallel to those of the Monastery, originally with only two floors and the attics.

In 1773, it was sold to the Marquis of Iranda, Simón de Aragorri y Olavide, who rented out the house. During those years, it was occupied by the French Ambassador.

At the end of the 19th century, it was turned into a seasonal residence; it was made taller and two balconies were added on its main façade, changing its original look fairly significantly.

Scroll to Top